This course will focus on introducing students to the concepts, methods, and statistical tools used in making business decisions. The goal of this course is to present opportunities for students to learn how to perform various business analyses for interpreting data and providing writing results to support business planning and decision making. (3 credits)
- MAT 100: Elementary Algebra
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Upon completion of the course, the students will be able to:
- Demonstrate basic computations for the various statistical concepts and methods use to analyze data in the business world.
- Use and apply descriptive statistical measures to business situations.
- Apply statistical concepts and/or methods to identify outcomes for business planning and/or problem solving.
- Apply basic probability concepts to business situations.
- Demonstrate basic competencies using statistical tools to analyze data and to evaluate results.
- Discuss the part data analysis plays in business decision making processes.
- Apply probability distributions to model different types of business processes.
- Recognize and apply statistical inference techniques (including statistical estimation and hypothesis testing) in business situations.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions (Weeks 1-7)
Quizzes (Weeks 1-7)
Weekly Projects (Weeks 1-7)
Final Exam (Week 8)
Available through Charter Oak's online bookstore
- Levine, David (2016). Business Statistics: A First Course - with Access Code. 7th ed. Pearson. ISBN-13: 978-0-13-426814-9
Note: Students must purchase the textbook new through Charter Oak's bookstore in order to receive the access code.
Readings and Exercises
Topic: Organizing and Visualizing Data
Topic: Numerical Descriptive Measures
Topic: Basic Probability
Topic: Discrete Probabilities and Normal Distrubution
Topic: Sampling and Sampling Distrubutions
Topic: Confidence Interval Estimation
Topic: Hypothesis Testing
Topic: Final Exam
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.