This course is a survey incorporating intrapersonal, interpersonal, and public speaking. Students will acquire theory and develop skills in workplace communication interviewing, demonstrations, informative speaking, and persuasive speaking. (3 credits)
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Identify, organize and focus your messages in speeches to demonstrate the function of communication via speechmaking in an inclusive world.
- Research support material to support a thesis statement as visualized via digital and non-digital presentations.
- Generate an outline which clearly differentiates the speech introduction, body and outline components while elevating your messaging with elements of creativity.
- Analyze one's audience to address specific needs and expectations through adequate reasoning, arguments and persuasion.
- Identify the overall intent of speaking through analysis of the communication context, by analyzing audience demographic and psychographic information as well as detail about the communications dynamics in cultural environments.
- Explain and apply the various methods of supporting main points: analogy, contrast, explanation, factual illustration, hypothetical illustration, and a series of specific instances, restatement, statistics, and testimony.
- Present and execute a well-researched and rehearsed speech (information, persuasive, motivational) that incorporates verbal and nonverbal presentation skills.
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions (Weeks 1-8)
Introductory Quote Speech (Week 1-2)
Persuasive Speech (Weeks 2,7,8)
Interview Assignments (Week 3)
Informative Speech (Weeks 4-6)
Research (Weeks 5,6,8)
Quizzes (Weeks 1-8)
(Available through Charter Oak State College's online bookstore)
- Lumen Learning. Public Speaking. Digital Access Code.
- Students will have a 2 week free trial period (2 free passes) using Lumen Learning digital materials (Waymaker). The trial period ends starting on week 3’s quiz it will prompt students to purchase their access code directly from Lumen Learning through their course. Students using financial aid vouchers are encouraged to purchase their course materials prior to the course starting or will have to pay out of pocket as vouchers expire one week after the start of the course.
Additional Resources (Required)
- Webcam to deliver speeches (details will be provided in the course)
Readings and Exercises
Topics: An introduction to Public Speaking
Topics: Choosing & Researching a Topic
Topic: Organizing & Outlining Your Speech
Topics: Speaking to Inform
Topic: Considering the Audience
Topic: Refining Your Speech
Topic: Delivering Your Speech
Topic: Persuasive Speech
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.