This course offers an overview of the legal processes involved in implementing and maintaining an ecommerce website. In addition, this course examines security issues involved in maintaining a web or intranet/internet site and potentials for misuse.
- ITE 145: Fundamentals of Information Systems Security
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Recognize fundamental concepts of information systems security (ISS)
- Examine the concept of privacy and its legal protections.
- Identify the basic components of the American Legal System.
- Describe legal compliance laws addressing how financial institutions protect the security and privacy of consumer financial information.
- Describe the main parts of the Health Information Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and how it protects health care information.
- Describe laws that protect children on the Internet and laws that protect information of children in legal settings.
- Describe legal compliance laws that address public and private institutions.
- Identify the key components of the Federal Information Security Management Act.
- Describe state legal compliance laws addressing public and private institutions.
- Analyze intellectual property laws.
- Describe the role of contracts in online transactions and cyberspace.
- Identify cybercrime and tort law issues in cyberspace.
- Examine the principles requiring governance of information within organizations.
- Explain the importance of risk management and contingency planning.
- Explain the importance of forensics examination in legal proceedings.
- Analyze the conception, enforcement and implementation of security policies.
- Use risk analysis to develop a response to any given situation that might arise from a violation of security policies.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions (Weeks 1-7)
Written Assignments (Weeks 1-7)
Lab Assignments (Weeks 1-7)
Quizzes (Weeks 3, 5 & 6)
Project (Week 8)
Final Exam (Week 8)
(Available through our online bookstore)
- Grama, Joanna L. Legal Issues in Information Security - Print Bundle for LMS Integrations. 2nd ed., Sudbury, MA: Jones & Bartlett, 2014. ISBN-13: 9781284116977
Note: This is a Print Bundle which includes the textbook and the Access Code required for this course. Student must purchase these materials “New” from the Charter Oak State College bookstore.
Used materials or materials from any other source are not acceptable.
Readings and Exercises
Topic: Information Systems Security Overview
Topic: The American Legal System
Topic: Security & Privacy of Financial & Health Information
Topics: Security & Privacy Involving Corporation & Educational Institutions
Topic: FISMA, Breach Notification & Intellectual Property Laws
Topic: Cyberspace Law & Information Security Governance
Topics: Risk Analysis, Incident Response & Computer Forensics
Topics: Course Review and Final Examination
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.