This course will focus on the broad topic of risk management and how risk, threats, and vulnerabilities impact information systems. Areas of instruction include how to assess and manage risk based on defining an acceptable level of risk for information systems. Elements of a business impact analysis, business continuity plan, and disaster recovery plan will also be discussed. (3 credits)
- ITE 145: Fundamentals of Information System Security
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Upon completion of the course, the students will be able to:
- Describe components of and approaches to effective risk management in an organization.
- Describe techniques for identifying, analyzing, and mitigating relevant threats, vulnerabilities, and exploits.
- Identify compliance laws, standards, best practices, and policies of risk management.
- Describe components of and approaches to effective risk assessments in an organization.
- Identify assets and activities to protect within an organization.
- Identify risk mitigation security controls and develop a risk mitigation plan.
- Perform a business impact analysis.
- Perform business continuity, disaster, and incident response planning.
Course Activities and Grading
Available through Charter Oak State College's online bookstore
- Gibson, Darril and Igonor, Andy. Managing Risk in Information System - with Access Code. 3rd ed. Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett, 2022. ISBN-13: 978-1284183719
- Note: This is a bundle which includes the textbook and the Access Code required for this course. We discourage students from purchasing “used” materials from other sources due to access codes not working properly.
The following books are suggested but not required.
- Landoll, Douglas J., Information Security Policies, Procedures, and Standards: A Practitioner's REference, 1st ed., 2016, ISBN-13: 978-1482245899
- Greene, Sari, Security Program and Policies: Principles and Practices, 2nd ed., 2014, ISBN 13: 978-0789751676
- Zaffar, Ehsan, Understanding Homeland Security: Foundations of Security Policy, 1st ed., 2019, ISBN 13: 978-0367259044
Links and readings will be provided in the Course Documents and Webliography sections on Blackboard.
Readings and Exercises
Topics: Risk Management Fundamentals and Threat Management
Topic: Understanding and Maintaining Compliance
Topic: Developing a Risk Management Plan
Topic: Key Components of Risk Assessment
Topic: Strategies for Mitigating Risk
Topics: Business Impact Analysis and Continuity Planning
Topics: Disaster Recovery, Incident Response Team, and Plan
Topics: Course Review and Final Examination
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.