This course will focus on the broad topic of risk management and how risk, threats, and vulnerabilities impact information systems. Areas of instruction include how to assess and manage risk based on defining an acceptable level of risk for information systems. Elements of a business impact analysis, business continuity plan, and disaster recovery plan will also be discussed. (3 credits)
- ITE 145: Fundamentals of Information System Security
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Upon completion of the course, the students will be able to:
- Explain the concepts of and needs for risk management.
- Identify compliancy laws, standards, best practices, and policies of risk management.
- Describe the components of an effective organizational risk management program.
- Describe techniques for identifying relevant threats, vulnerabilities, and exploits.
- Identify risk mitigation security controls
- Describe concepts for implementing risk mitigation throughout an organization.
- Perform a business impact analysis for a provided scenario.
- Create a business continuity plan (BCP) based on the findings of a given risk assessment for an organization.
- Create a disaster recovery plan (DRP) based on the findings of a given risk assessment for an organization.
- Create a Computer Incident Response Team (CIRT) plan for an organization in a given scenario.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Available through Charter Oak State College's online bookstore
- Gibson, Darril. Managing Risk in Information System - Print Bundle for LMS Integrations. 2nd ed. Sudbury, MA: Jones & Bartlett, 2015. ISBN-13: 9781284116984
Note: This is a Print Bundle which includes the textbook and the Access Code required for this course. Student must purchase these materials “New” from the Charter Oak State College bookstore.
Used materials or materials from any other source are not acceptable.
- Links and readings will be provided in the Course Documents and Webliography sections on Blackboard.
Readings and Exercises
Topics: Risk Management Fundamentals, Compliance Laws, Standards, and Best Practices
Topic: Risk Management Planning
Topic: Concepts of Risk Assessment
Topic: Key Components of Risk Assessment
Topic: Strategies for Mitigating Risk
Topics: Business Impact Analysis and Continuity Planning
Topics: Disaster Recovery, Incident Response Team, and Plan
Topics: Course Review and Final Examination
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.