The course will focus on security policies that can be used to help protect and maintain a network, such as password policy, e-mail policy and Internet policy. Topics also include organizational behavior and crisis management. (3 credits)
- ITE 145: Fundamentals of Information Systems Security
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Identify the role of an information systems security (ISS) policy framework in overcoming business challenges.
- Recognize the relationship between business drivers and information systems security policies.
- Understand the relationship between regulatory compliance requirements and information system security policies.
- Analyze how security policies help mitigate risks and support business processes in various domains of a typical IT infrastructure.
- Analyze issues related to security policy implementations and the keys to success.
- Describe the components and basic requirements for creating a security policy framework.
- Describe how to design, organize, implement, and maintain IT security policies.
- Describe the different methods, roles, responsibilities, and accountabilities of personnel, along with the governance and compliance of a security policy framework.
- Describe the different ISS policies associated with the user domain.
- Describe the different ISS policies associated with the IT infrastructure.
- Describe the different ISS policies associated with risk management.
- Describe the different ISS policies associated with incident response teams (IRTs).
- Describe issues related to implementing ISS policies.
- Describe issues related to enforcing ISS policies.
- Describe the different issues related to defining, tracking, monitoring, reporting, automating, and organizing compliance systems and emerging technologies.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Available through Charter Oak State College's online bookstore
- Johnson, Rob, and Merkow. Security Policies and Implementation Issues - Print Bundle for LMS Integrations. 2nd ed. Sudbury, MA: Jones & Bartlett, 2015. ISBN-13: 9781284116991
Note: This is a Print Bundle which includes the textbook and the Access Code required for this course. Student must purchase these materials “New” from the Charter Oak State College bookstore. Used materials or materials from any other source are not acceptable.
Readings and Exercises
Topic: Information Systems Security Policy Management
Topics: Business Challenges and Security Policy Implementation Issues
Topics: IT Security Policies, Procedures, and Guidelines
Topics: IT Security Policy Framework Approaches
Topics: User Domain and IT Infrastructure Security Policies
Topics: Data Classification and Handling Policies, Risk Management Policies, and Incident Response Team (IRT) Policies
Topics: IT Security Policy Implementation and Enforcement, Compliance Systems and Emerging Technologies
Topics: Course Review and Final Exam
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.