This course offers an introduction to Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) and firewalls for securing a network. Various network security related issues are introduced and examined. Different types of VPNs for securing data in an organizational setup are discussed as well as the benefits and architecture of a VPN and how to implement a VPN. Other topics include the utility of firewalls in tackling security problems and the limitations of a firewall. In addition, instruction is also given on how to construct, configure and administer a firewall and the functionality of a firewall.
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
- ITE 145: Fundamentals of Information Systems Security
- ITE 220: Networking and Data Communcation (Recommended)
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Explain the fundamental concepts of network security.
- Describe the fundamental functions performed by firewalls.
- Describe the foundational concepts of VPNs.
- Recognize the impact that malicious exploits and attacks have on network security.
- Describe network security implementation strategies and the roles each can play within the security life cycle.
- Identify network security management best practices and strategies for responding when security measures fail.
- Manage and monitor firewalls, and understand their limitations.
- Assess firewall design strategies.
- Apply firewall management best practices.
- Appraise the firewall and other security options available for personal and small office/home office (SOHO) environments.
- Appraise the elements of VPN implementation and management.
- Describe common VPN technologies.
- Follow the creation of an example firewall implementation.
- Follow the creation of an example VPN implementation.
- Evaluate available resources and trends in network security.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Final Exam (Week 15)
(Available through our online bookstore)
- Stewart, J. Michael, Network Security, Firewalls, and VPNs - Print Bundle for LMS Integrations. 2nd ed. Sudbury, MA: Jones & Bartlett, 2013. ISBN-13: 9781284158267
Note: This is a Print Bundle which includes the textbook and the Access Code required for this course. Student must purchase these materials “New” from the Charter Oak State College bookstore. Used materials or materials from any other source are not acceptable.
Readings and Exercises
Topics: Network Security Basics, Threats and Issues
Topic: Firewall Fundamentals
Topic: VPN Fundamentals
Topics: Network Security Implementation and Management
Topic: Firewall & VPN Management Techniques
Topic: Firewall Implementation Options
Topics: Future Trends and Best Practices
Topics: Course Project and Final Examination
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies and the “Course Policies” link for specific policies related to this course. COSC Resources information regarding available COSC academic support services and resources.