This course offers an introduction to firewalls and virtual private networks (VPNs) for securing a network. Various network security-related issues, such as threats and business challenges, are introduced and examined. The course addresses firewall functionality and how to select, construct, configure, and manage a firewall. Different types of VPNs for securing data in an organization are also addressed, as well as the benefits and architecture of a VPN and implementation considerations. In addition, students will learn the essentials of secure network design and management. (3 credits)
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
- ITE 145: Fundamentals of Information Systems Security
- ITE 220: Networking and Data Communcation (Recommended)
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Analyze the fundamental concepts of network security.
- Calculate the impact that malicious exploits and attacks have on network security.
- Examine common network topologies and infrastructures and incorporate them into a secure network design.
- Analyze the fundamental functions performed by firewalls, common firewall technologies, and the elements of firewall implementation and configuration.
- Examine the implementation of a firewall.
- Analyze the fundamental functions of virtual private networks (VPNs), common VPN technologies, and the elements of VPN implementation and management.
- Examine the implementation of a VPN.
- Analyze firewall and network security management best practices.
- Examine regulations and emerging network security technologies.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions (Weeks 1 - 8)
Written Assignments (Weeks 2, 3, 5)
Lab Assignments (Weeks 1 - 7)
Project (Weeks 2, 4, 6, 7)
Final Exam (Week 8)
Available through Charter Oak State College's online bookstore
- Stewart, M.J. and Kinsey, D, Network Security, Firewalls and VPNs - with Access Code. 3rd. ed. Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett, 2021. ISBN-13: 978-1-284-18365-8
Note: This is a Print Bundle which includes the textbook and the Access Code required for this course. Student must purchase these materials “New” from the Charter Oak State College bookstore. Used materials or materials from any other source are not acceptable.
Readings and Exercises
Topics: Fundamentals of Network Security and Threats
Topic: Network Topologies, Infrastructures, and Design
Topic: Firewall Fundamentals and Implementation
Topics: Firewall Deployment and Configuration
Topic: VPN Fundamentals and Management
Topic: VPN Technologies and Implementation
Topics: Firewall and Network Security Management
Topics: Emerging Technology and Regulatory Considerations
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.