This course will focus on an introduction to hacking tools and incident handling. Areas of instruction include various tools and vulnerabilities of operating systems, as well as the software and networks used by hackers to access unauthorized information. This course also addresses incident handling methods used when information security is compromised. (3 credits)
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
- ITE 145: Fundamentals of Information Systems Security
- ITE 220: Networking and Data Communcation (Recommended)
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Explain the history and current state of hacking and penetration testing, including ethical and legal implications.
- Identify fundamental TCP/IP concepts and technologies related to networking.
- Describe cryptology.
- Identify basic equipment controls, physical area controls, and facility controls.
- Identify common information gathering tools and techniques.
- Analyze how port scanning and fingerprinting are used by hackers.
- Analyze how enumeration is used in conjunction with system hacking.
- Analyze wireless network vulnerabilities exploited by hackers.
- Perform web and database attacks.
- Identify and remove common types of malware from infected systems.
- Identify Trojans, backdoors, and covert communication methods.
- Perform network traffic analysis and sniffing by using appropriate tools.
- Analyze systems using Linux tools.
- Perform incident handling by using appropriate methods.
- Compare and contrast defensive technologies.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Available through Charter Oak State College's online bookstore
- Oriyano, Sean-Philip. Hacker Techniques, Tools, and Incident Handling - with Access Code. Jones-Bartlett, 3rd ed., 2020. ISBN-13: 971284172607
- Note: This is a bundle which includes the textbook and the Access Code required for this course. We discourage students from purchasing “used” materials from other sources due to access codes not working properly.
Readings and Exercises
Topics: Introduction to Ethical Hacking and Cryptographic Concepts
Topics: Footprinting and Social Engineering
Topics: Port Scanning, Enumeration, and System Hacking
Topics: Wireless Vulnerabilities and Web and Database Attacks
Topics: Malware, Worms and Viruses
Topics: Network Analysis and Linux
Topics: Incident Response and Defensive Technologies
Topics: Incident Response and Defensive Technologies (cont...)
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.