This course describes Autism and Asperger's Disorder including characteristics of these disorders, associated learning styles, communication weaknesses, and various intervention strategies; helps the learner make sense out of why individuals with Autism spectrum disorders behave the way they do, and what the learner can do to enhance more appropriate behavior.
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Understand the causes and manifestations of autism spectrum disorders.
- Analyze current intervention techniques in the education environment.
- Evaluate the social skills training for people with autism spectrum disorders.
- Understand some of the many controversies around autism spectrum disorders.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions (Weeks 1-14)
Reaction Pieces (14 short answer), Weeks 1-14
Essays (3), Weeks 3, 9, and 13
Research Paper (1 paper), Week 15
- There is no required text for this course. There will be one or more journal or web-based article per week to read related to the topic of the week. In additional, there will be a short lecture to read for each week of the course.
Readings and Exercises
Module 1 Topics: History of Autism and Causes of Autism
Module 2 Topic: Biology of Autism Spectrum Disorders
Module 3 Topic: Indicators for Referral
Module 4 Topic: Intervention Techniques in Elementary School
Module 5 Topic: Intervention Techniques in Secondary School
Module 6 Topic: Social Skills/Competency Training
Module 7 Topics: Policy, Legal and Social Impact Issues of Autism Spectrum Disorders
Module 8 Topic: Course Summary and Review
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.