This course will focus on the issues that arise where state and/or federal law and the American healthcare system intersect. (3 credits)
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Demonstrate a broad understanding of the scope of the American healthcare system and how governmental agencies regulate and monitor healthcare diversity.
- Analyze cases in law which impact healthcare administration.
- Illustrate how a wide range of health issues relate to the legal system.
- Explain the "Malpractice Crisis" in American healthcare from the view of Lawyers, Doctors, Hospitals and other healthcare organizations.
- Critique methods to improve healthcare while reducing legal risks.
- Apply skills to search the Internet for information regarding healthcare and the law.
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions and Assignment Questions (Weeks 1-8)
Midterm Exam (Week 4)
Final Exam (Week 8)
Available through Charter Oak State College's online bookstore
- Pozgar, George. Legal Aspects of Healthcare Administration. 14th ed. Jones & Bartlett Publishers, 2023. ISBN-13: 9781284232325
Readings and Exercises
Topics: Hospitals Through The Ages; Government, Law and Ethics; Negligence
Topics: Intentianal Torts; Tort Reform; Criminal Aspects in Healthcare; Contracts and Antitrust; Civil Procedure and Trial Practice
Topics: Corporate Structure, Medical Staff, Nursing and the Law; Hospital Departments and Allied Health
|Module 4: Information Management and Patient Records and Midterm Exam|
Topic: Patient Consent, Legal Reporting Requirements, Patient Rights and Responsibilities
Topics: Healthcare Ethics, Procreation and Ethical Issues and End of Life Issues
Topic: Human Resources; Professional Liability Insurance
Topics: Managed Care and National Health and Final Exam
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.