This course will focus on the issues that arise where state and/or federal law and the American healthcare system intersect. (3 credits)
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Demonstrate a broad understanding of the scope of the American healthcare system and how governmental agencies regulate and monitor healthcare diversity.
- Analyze cases in law which impact healthcare administration.
- Illustrate how a wide range of health issues relate to the legal system.
- Explain the "Malpractice Crisis" in American healthcare from the view of Lawyers, Doctors, Hospitals and other healthcare organizations.
- Critique methods to improve healthcare while reducing legal risks.
- Apply skills to search the Internet for information regarding healthcare and the law.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions and Assignment Questions (Weeks 1-8)
Midterm Exam (Week 4)
Final Exam (Week 8)
Available through Charter Oak State College's online bookstore
- Pozgar, George. Legal Aspects of Healthcare Administration. 13th ed. Jones & Bartlett Publishers, 2019. ISBN-10: 1-284-12717-6 or ISBN-13: 978-1-284-12717-1
Readings and Exercises
Module 1: Introduction
Module 2: Some Legal Foundations
Module 3: Corporate Structure, Medical Staff, Nurses, Departments and Liability
|Module 4: Information Management and Patient Records and Midterm Exam|
Topic: Legal Reporting Requirements, Patient Rights and Responsibilities
Topics: Healthcare Ethics, Procreation and Ethical Issues and End of Life Issues
Topic: Improving Safety and Outcomes, Patient Rights and Duties
Topics: Managed Care and National Health and Final Exam
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.