This course will focus on the role of leadership in health care administration. (3 credits)
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Analyze core concepts to better understand the elusiveness of leadership
- Compare and contrast what constitutes leadership effectiveness or success and the factors that account for it
- Review and analyze the leading theories on leadership.
- Evaluate several distinctive aspects of leadership in health services organizations.
- Discuss and evaluate what constitutes an integrative model of leadership
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions (Weeks 1-7)
Research Paper (Week 7)
Research Paper Discussion (Week 8)
Final Exam (Week 8)
(Available through our online bookstore)
- Atchison, Tom (2003). Followership: Practical Guide to Aligning Leaders and Followers. Health Administration Press. ISBN: 1567932169
- Dye, Carson F.(2017). Leadership in Healthcare: Essential Values and Skills (3rd Edition). Health Administration Press. ISBN: 9781567938463
- Gardner, John W.(1990). On Leadership, Free Press. ISBN: 0029113121
Readings and Exercises
Topic: Leadership and Governance
1, 2, 4
Topic: Leadership Success
Topic: Leadership Performance
Topic: Caring and Caring About Caring
Topic: Ethics and Change
Topic: Building Team Responsiveness
Topic: Leaders Share Overall Responsibility
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.