This course explores the theories and concepts of leadership used in today’s healthcare environment. Students will look at challenges and opportunities as a healthcare leader in managing teams. Topics include emotional intelligence, change management, ethics, values, leadership styles, and team building. Students will gain skills to become an effective leader in diverse healthcare environments. (3 credits)
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
Associated Program Student Learning Outcomes:
- Evaluate several leadership styles utilized in healthcare leadership.
- Discuss healthcare leadership theories and concepts.
- Explain the factors that influence leadership effectiveness
- Develop leadership skills to be applied to health care leadership roles.
- Discuss ethical expectations for healthcare leaders and managers.
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Compare various leadership theories in relation to healthcare leadership.
- Compare and contrast the roles of a leader and a manager.
- Assess the importance of the leader/follower feedback loop.
- Analyze the role emotional intelligence plays in leadership.
- Examine the idea of commitment to healthcare organizations.
- Discuss some of the challenges faced by healthcare leaders.
- Develop a leadership toolkit with resources for future leadership career.
- Discuss characteristics, traits, and values of a healthcare leader.
- Compare a variety of viewpoints on leadership.
- Compare leadership styles of famous leaders.
- Conclude which leadership style is most effective.
- Assess the value of ethics in leadership.
- Explain the factors that influence team effectiveness.
- Examine a case study and develop a project plan related to a healthcare issue.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions (240 Pts, Weeks 1-8)
Written Assignments (200 Pts, Weeks 1 and 5)
Case Studies (300 Pts, Weeks 2, 4 and 7)
Leadership Toolkit (260 Pts, Weeks, 3, 6 and 8)
Available through Charter Oak State College's online bookstore
- Dye, Carson F. (2017). Leadership in Healthcare: Essential Values and Skills (3rd Edition). Health Administration Press. ISBN: 9781567938463
Readings and Exercises
Topics: Leadership Theories and Concepts
Topics: Leadership Success and Emotional Intelligence
Topic: Leadership Performance
Topic: Leadership Values
Topic: Leadership Styles
Topics: Ethics and Change
Topic: Building Team Responsiveness
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.