This course is designed to provide an overview of cancer disease coding and staging. Students will be introduced to various cancer registry coding manuals and students will learn how and when to utilize each manual to assign primary site, histology and stage.
- BIO 212: Anatomy and Physiology
- BIO 215: Pathophysiology
- HCA 105: Medical Terminology
- HIM 230: Introduction to Cancer Registry and Management
- HIM 231: Cancer Registry Operations
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Explain how to classify cancer topography (site) and morphology (histology).
- Differentiate how and when to utilize cancer registry manuals.
- Determine when a patient has more than one cancer.
- Explain what histology code to use when a patient has more than one histology.
- Apply knowledge to assign AJCC Stage, Tumor Grade, Extent of Disease, and Summary Stage.
- Describe the importance of cancer staging in treatment decisions and outcomes.
- Differentiate solid tumor cancers from hematopoietic cancers.
- Demonstrate how to apply coding rules to solid tumor cancers, hematopoietic cancers, and CNS tumors.
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions (Weeks 1-8)
Quizzes (Weeks 1, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Interactive Assignments (Week 2 & Week 7)
Final Exam (Week 8)
Available through Charter Oak State College's online bookstore
National Cancer Registrars Association. Cancer Registry Management and Principles and Practice for Hospitals and Central Registries. 4th ed. NCRA, 2021. ISBN-13: 978-1-73291-783-5
Amin MB, Edge S, Greene F, Byrd DR, Brookland RK, Washington MK, Gershenwald JE, Compton CC, Hess KR, et al. (Eds.). AJCC Cancer Staging Manual. 8th ed. Springer International Publishing: American Joint Commission on Cancer; 2017. ISBN-13: 978-3-319-40617-6
Note: These textbooks are used in most of the Cancer Registry Management courses and should be saved for preparation for the CTR exam.
Readings and Exercises
Topics: Introduction to ICD-O-3 and Solid Tumor Rules (General Instructions)
Topic: Solid Tumor Rules (Site Specific Breast and Lung)
Topic: Introduction to Summary Stage and Extent of Disease
Topics: Introduction to Grade and Site-Specific Data Items
Topics: Introduction to AJCC Stage
Topics: Introduction to Hematopoietic and Lymphoid Neoplasms
Topics: Introduction to Benign Brain Tumors
Topic: Final Exam
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.