This course covers common coding terminologies and vocabularies used in healthcare delivery and management, such as International Classification of Diseases (ICD) coding, Healthcare Common Procedures Coding Systems (HCPCS), Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) coding, National Drug Codes (NDC), Systematized Nomenclature of Medicine Clinical Terms (SNOMED), Logical Observation Identified Names and Codes (LOINC), Drug Terminology Systems, and Data Interchange Standards (DIS). Student will explore how vocabulary, terminology, and classification systems are crucial for collection of appropriate encoded data that will allow for proper access, manipulation and analysis of data.
This course meets certain CAHIIM competencies for HIM Majors.
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Discuss the purpose and function of the International Classification of Diseases.
- Identify the functions and relationships between healthcare classification systems and taxonomies.
- Describe the uses and functions of ICD, CPT, SNOMED-CT, DSM and RxNorm.
- Demonstrate ability to map terminologies, vocabularies and classification systems from one to another.
- Construct and maintain the standardization of data dictionaries to meet the needs of a healthcare organization.
- Demonstrate compliance with internal and external data dictionary requirements.
- Manage health data so that it is useful, accurate and appropriate.
- Research electronic applications for clinical classification and coding.
- Manage applications and processes for clinical classification and coding.
- Maintain processes, policies and procedures to ensure the accuracy of coded data.
- Analyze the need to monitor the use of clinical vocabularies and terminologies used in the organizatgion's health information systems.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions (Weeks 1-8)
Assignments - Chapter Review Questions (Weeks 1-7) and Chapter 1 Assignment
Competency Assignment (Week 7)
Final Exam (Week 8)
Available through Charter Oak's online bookstore
- Giannagelo, Kathy. Healthcare Code Sets, Clinical Terminologies, and Classification Systems - with Access Code. 3rd ed. AHIMA Publications, 2015. ISBN-13: 9781584261049
Note: Students must purchase this book NEW to ensure the use of an Access Code needed for online resources.
- Internet access to online Medical Dictionary and reference of previous Medical Terminology book.
(Note: Course week runs Monday 12:00 am EST - Sunday 11:59 pm EST)
|Week||SLOs||Readings and Exercises||Assignments|
Topics: Standards: Healthcare Code Sets & Classifications Commonly Used for Administrative and Statistical Reporting - ICD and the US Modifications
Topics: Standards: Healthcare Code Sets & Classifications Commonly Used for Administrative and Statistical Reporting - CPT and HCPCS
Topics: Standards: Healthcare Code Sets& Classifications Used for Administrative and Statistical Reporting - Dental and Mental Health Codes
Topics: Terminologies - Drug Systems
Topics: Terminologies - SNOMED CT and ICD-11, LOINC and Nursing
Topics: Other Vocabulary, Terminology, and Classification Systems, Data Set Standards
Topics: Health Data Standards: Data Interchange; Applications: Databases and Data Mapping; Using the Terminology, Vocabulary and Classification Systems
Topic: Final Exam
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies and the “Course Policies” link for specific policies related to this course. COSC Resources information regarding available COSC academic support services and resources.