The course will focus on common coding, terminologies and vocabularies used in the healthcare delivery and management. This include International Classification of Diseases (ICD) coding, Healthcare Common Procedures Coding System (HCPCS), Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) coding, National Drug Codes (NDC), Systematized Nomenclature of Medicine Clinical Terms (SNOMED), Logical Observation Identifiers Names and Codes (LOINC), Drug Terminology Systems, and Data Interchange Standards (DIS). (3 credits)
This course meets certain CAHIIM competencies for HIM Majors.
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
- HCA 105: Medical Terminology
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Discuss the purpose and function of the International Classification of Diseases.
- Identify the functions and relationships between healthcare classification systems and taxonomies.
- Describe the uses and functions of ICD, CPT, SNOMED-CT, LOINC, DSM and RxNorm.
- Explain the purpose and use of National Drug Codes, Current Dental Terminology, International Classification of Functioning, Disability, and Health, and Terminologies Used in Nursing.
- Identify data interchange standards.
- Utilize clinical vocabularies.
- Research electronic applications for clinical classification and coding.
- Analyze the need to monitor the use of clinical vocabularies and terminologies used in the organizatgion's health information systems.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Note: A "C" grade or higher must be earned to pass this course.
|F||72.99% and below|
Discussions (Weeks 1-8)
Chapter 18 Quiz
Assignments - Chapter Review Questions (Weeks 1-7) and Chapter 1 Assignment
Final Exam (Week 8)
Available through Charter Oak's online bookstore
- Giannagelo, Kathy. Healthcare Code Sets, Clinical Terminologies, and Classification Systems - with Access Code. 4th ed. AHIMA Publications, 2019. ISBN-13: 9781584266730
(Note: Course week runs Monday 12:00 am EST - Sunday 11:59 pm EST)
|Week||SLOs||Readings and Exercises||Assignments|
Topics: International Classification of Diseases (ICD) and the US Modifications; ICD-11 Overview
Topics: CPT and HCPCS
Topics: National Drug Codes; Current Dental Terminology
Topics: RxNorm; DSM
Topics: Terminologies - SNOMED CT and ICD-11, LOINC and Nursing
Topics: International Classification of Functioning, Disability, and Health; Terminologies Used in Nursing
Topics: Other Terminologies and Classifications Systems; Data Interchange Standards
Topics: Use of Terminologies, Classifications, and Value Sets; Final Exam
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.