This course examines healthcare policy and law from a public health perspective. The process of healthcare policymaking will be explored. Complexities of healthcare policy problems that face federal, state and local health policies will be discussed. The course examines current and past healthcare policies and the role that social factors influence the policy making process. The course will introduce the methods for analyzing health policies. The course Public Health Policy explores several aspects of healthcare policy, the healthcare policy making process, and it highlights the existence of public health disparities.
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Identify and describe the concepts of healthcare policy and policymaking.
- Learn the basic functions of healthcare policies in the United States with special emphasis on the impact it has on Public Health.
- Examine some healthcare policy problems facing federal, state and local policymakers.
- Identify the role of healthcare policy and the social factors that influence policymakers.
- Explore existing strategies to address problems facing federal, state and local healthcare policymakers.
- Demonstrate competency in assessment and problem solving skills, when applying strategies for change in healthcare policy.
- Identify how public health establishes community partnerships to identify and solve health problems
- Apply and utilize policy theory in a brief analysis of a contemporary public health policy issue or challenge that display public health disparities.
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions (Weeks 1-7)
Quizzes (Weeks 1-7)
Public Health Policy Analysis Outline (Week 6)
Public Health Policy Analysis (Week 8)
Available through Charter Oak State College's online bookstore
- Wilensky and Teitelbaum. Essentials of Health Policy and Law - with Access Code. 4th ed. Jones and Bartlett LLC, 2020. ISBN-13: 978-1-284-15158-9
|Readings and Exercises
Topics: Foundations of Health Policy and Law
|Topics: Law and the U.S. Healthcare Systems
|Topics: Public Health Institutions and Systems
Topics: Individual Rights and the Healthcare System and Social Determinants of Health and the Role of Law in Optimizing Health
Topic: Overview of the Four Main Public Programs that Provide Health Insurance Coverage for Millions Living in the United States
|Topic: Public Health Policy Analysis
|Topic: Quality Healthcare
Topic: Public Health Policy Analysis
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.