This course will focus on fundamental programming constructs, basic data structures, arrays, testing, and debugging using the PERL programming language. Program construction, subroutines, and program control flow are also covered. (3 credits)
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
- ITE 101: Management Information System
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Design and implement a computer program.
- Develop a computer program that uses multiple inputs to accomplish an applied problem.
- Develop a computer program to report on data.
- Develop a test plan to evaluate a computer program.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions (Weeks 1-8)
Assignments (Weeks 1-7)
Final Program (Week 8)
Final Exam (Week 8)
Available through Charter Oak's online bookstore
- Poe, Curtis. Beginning PERL. Wiley & Sons Publishing. ISBN-13: 9781118013847
- Sample PERL code is available at www.learning-perl.com
- Video: Introduction to Programming: Unlocking the Secrets.
- The PERL programming language is used for this course. It is installed as part of the MAC operating system. For Windows users, it needs to be downloaded (available free of charge).
Readings and Exercises
Topic: What is PERL?
Topics: Variables & Data
Topic: Control Flow
Topics: Subroutines & References
Topics: Regular Expressions, Files & Directories
Topics: Sorting Data & String Manipulation
Topic: External Programs
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.