The Judaic Studies Capstone is designed to provide students with the opportunity to demonstrate that they understand clearly their area of concentration, have mastered the content of the selected field(s) of study, can synthesize the key concepts and ideas and can apply this, with relevance to current issues and trends in modern Jewish life. This is achieved through 2 main components: 1) the development of a project, which incorporates a practical application of the content area(s) from the course of study and is pertinent to current practices in modern Jewish life, along with 2) a well-referenced research paper, supporting the content and concepts in the project, using references from both Judaic/Biblical as well as modern resources. The paper includes a bibliography of the review of the literature (APA style).
- This is the required capstone course in the Charter Oak Judaic Studies concentration and should be taken in your final semseter.
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Analyze areas relevant to current Jewish life and practice in order to select the Judaic Studies Capstone topic, providing evidence of content mastery reflective of the Judaic Studies concentration, (Limudei Kodesh, Jewish History, etc.).
- Develop an objective, referenced Research Paper containing a review of the literature, reflecting the topic from a Judaic perspective (TaNaCH/ Commentaries, etc.) as well as relevant resources discussing how the topic is pertinent in the modern Jewish world (books, journals, online sources, websites, personal communications, etc.).
- Synthesize the key concepts and ideas and apply these with relevance to current issues, trends and practices in modern Jewish life by creating a Comprehensive Review of the efforts by Jewish Communities to address the topic (support, resources, etc.). E.g. organizations, websites, support systems, resources, kiruv activities, shiurim, etc.
- Reflect on the findings of the research paper and comprehensive review, especially as to how this information relates to students' own personal beliefs, experiences, lifestyle and/or other academic experiences in the concentration.
- Summarize key concepts from the review of the literature and respond to peer content, providing feedback and suggestions.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Capstone Drafts / Edits (Weeks 1-5)
Components for the Final Capstone document (Weeks 6-8)
Discussion Board Postings and Peer Feedback
- There are no required textbooks for this course.
- APA Publication Manual (Recommended)
- Articles as assigned
Topics: Orientation & Overview, Proposal: Capstone Topic, Annotated Bibliography for the Research Paper, Comprehensive Review; Reflection, Discussion Board
Topics: Outline for the Research Paper, Comprehensive Review; Reflection, Discussion Board
Topics: Research Paper, Comprehensive Review; Reflection, Discussion Board
Topics: Research Paper; Comprehensive Review
Topics: Research Paper, Comprehensive Review; Cover
Topics: Research Paper, Comprehensive Review; Reflection, Discussion Board; Summary
Topics: Judaic Studies Capstone document, Reflection, Discussion Board
Topics: Judaic Studies Capstone, Reflection, Discussion Board
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.