This is the capstone course for the Organizational Leadership concentration and should be taken in the student's last semester. Students must have completed thirty credits of their concentration courses prior to taking the course. The goal of the course is two-pronged: 1) Students will integrate and apply the knowledge gained in the Organizational Leadership concentration courses. 2) Students will assess and work on honing their leadership skills. The course must be taken at Charter Oak State College.
- This is the required capstone course in the Charter Oak Organizational Leadership concentration and should be taken in your final semseter.
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Distinguish between leadership and management.
- Examine various aspects of leadership and assess one's leadership abilities.
- Identify leadership strategies and techniques for handling resistance to change.
- Discuss the major conflict management styles and significant mediation and resolution strategies.
- Differentiate between criticism and coaching feedback.
- Interpret the role of crisis leadership skills in a learning organization.
- Conduct an interview with a leader and perform a comprehensive analysis from a multidisciplinary perspective.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Midterm Project (Week 5)
Capstone Project (Week 8)
Available through Charter Oak State College's online bookstore
- Bass, Bernard M. The Bass Handbook of Leadership: Theory, Research and Managerial Application. 4th ed. Free Press: New York, NY, 2009. ISBN-13: 9780743215227
- Owen, Jo. The Leadership Skills Handbook: 50 Essential Skills You Need To Be A Leader. 4th ed. Kogan Page, 2017. ISBN-13: 9780749480332
Students must choose one of the following films:
- Video: The Last Castle. 2001. (This film can be rented from video source or borrowed from your local library.)*
*Students may use an alternate film, but must receive prior approval by Professor.
|Week||SLOs||Readings and Exercises||Assignments|
Topic: Mindset Skills
Topic: Career Skills
Topic: People Skills
Topic: Relationship Handling Skills
Topic: Daily Skills
Topic: Organization Skills
Topics: Values and Behavior
Topics: Conclusion and Wrap-Up
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.