This course covers the individual, organizational, and group-level factors that determine people’s behavior in organizations, and the direction and success of these organization: personality, values, attitudes, motivation, organizational structure, organizational culture, leadership and management, power and political behavior, group process, teamwork, communication, conflict, and organizational change. (3 credits)
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
- MGT 101: Principles of Management
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Analyze Organizational Behavior in terms of 3 dimensions – individual, organizational, group.
- Compare the dimension of personality with that of values, and their effects people’s behavior in organizations
- Evaluate the relevance of ‘affect’ and Emotional Intelligence to personal development and org. behavior.
- Describe the relationship of a person’s attitudes to his/her organizational behavior.
- Define motivation and the individual characteristics and organizational practices that affect it.
- Describe the elements of organizational structure and compare organizations accordingly.
- Define the concept and specify the elements of organizational culture.
- Compare important theories of leadership (compared to management) and evaluate their impact on individual and organizational behavior.
- Define and identify the bases of power in organizations.
- Analyze the causes and consequences of political behavior.
- Describe the role and importance of groups within organizations.
- Identify and describe the values and behaviors needed for effective teamwork
- Identify and apply the elements of teamwork and group process.
- Compare the various sources and types of organizational conflict.
- Describe the nature and functions of communication in organizations.
- Analyze the causes of success or failure in organizational change.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Written Assignments (Weeks 2, 3, 5, 6 & 7)
Tests (Weeks 4 & 8)
Team Assignment (Week 7)
Course Paper (Week 8)
Required TextbooksAvailable through https://bookstore.mbsdirect.net/vbm/vb_home.php?FVCUSNO=35478
- Robbins, S.P. and Judge, T.A. Essentials of Organizational Behavior. 14th ed. Pearson, 2018. ISBN-13: 978-0-13-452484-9 [Looseleaf Version]
Not Available through Bookstore
- Hacker, D. A Writer's Reference. 8th ed. Boston: Bedford Books of St. Martin's Press, 2015. ISBN-13: 9781457666766 (Strongly Recommended)
Readings and Exercises
Topics: Introduction to Organizational Behavior & Individual Characteristics, Part 1
Topic: Individual Characteristics, Part 2
Topic: Indivdual Motivation & Organizational Practices
Topics: Characteristics of Organizations: Structure and Culture
Topics: Leadership, Management Power and Politics
Topics: Groups and Teams
Topics: Group Decision-Making, Communication and Conflict
Topic: Organizational Change
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.