This course will focus on exploring the variety of ways in which a business can grow. Topics include: how to grow a business using new product and new customer strategies, human resource management issues, how to fund growth, and how to expand the business through licensing, franchise, and expansion. Emphasis will be placed on management practices, innovative marketing, and financial planning. Students will learn how to create a growth plan for a business.
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
- MGT 101: Principles of Management (Recommended)
- MKT 220: Principles of Marketing (Recommended)
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will:
- Create a growth plan for a small business applying relevant business strategies that are competitive in the global marketplace.
- Evaluate the role of growth to long term business success.
- Determine viable methods of financing growth.
- Identify proper processes to control and manage growth.
- Analyze current market conditions and implement innovative marketing techniques.
- Design effective approaches to business growth using customer, product, human resources and management strategies.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions (Weeks 1-8)
Assignments (Weeks 1-6)
Research Project (Week 7)
Growth Plan Presentation (Week 8)
Available through Charter Oak State College's online bookstore
- Feldman, David. Entrepreneur's Growth Startup Handbook. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2013. ISBN-10: 1-118-44565-1 or ISBN-13: 978-1-118-44565-5*
*Note: This is a print on demand book. Order as soon as possible to ensure the book arrives by the start of the course.
- Payton, Susan. Internet Marketing for Entrepreneurs. Business Expert Press, 2009. ISBN-10: 1-60649-033-8 or ISBN-13: 978-1-60649-033-4
- Sniukas, Marc, Parker Lee and Matt Morasky. Art of Opportunity: How to Build Growth and Venture. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2016. ISBN-13: 978-1-119-15158-6
Readings and Exercises
Topic: Why a Business Needs Growth
Topic: Managing Growth within Your Business
Topic: Financing Growth for Your Business
Topic: Growth Through New Products and New Customers
Topic: Strategies for Growth
Topic: Using Innovative Marketing for Growth
Topics: Expansion as a Tool for Growth
Topics: Planning for Growth
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.