This course introduces adult learners to the practice of operations management and the importance of cross-functional decision making. Topics include value chains, performance measurements, operations strategies, technology, supply chain management, facility design, forecasting, capacity management, inventory, scheduling, quality management and lean operations.
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Interpret the field of operations management and explain the importance of the value chain process.
- Calculate and analyze productivity measures.
- Examine competitive strategies and the technology needs of operations managers.
- Explain the principal elements of service-encounter design.
- Examine location strategies within the supply chain design.
- Assess business processes to improve operational performance.
- Integrate the mechanics of facility layout and design.
- Explain capacity strategies for operational planning.
- Calculate and analyze forecasting and capacity measures.
- Distinguish between inventory types and their impact on business decisions.
- Calculate and analyze inventory measures.
- Demonstrate an understanding of supply chain management.
- Explain the concepts of quality management.
- Calculate and analyze scheduling measures.
- Explain the concepts of operations scheduling.
- Generalize and examine the principles of lean operating systems.
- Integrate and explain operations management concepts in the context of a real-world business.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions (Weeks 1-8)
Assignments (Weeks 1-7)
Available through Charter Oak's online bookstore
- Collier, David Alan and James R. Evans. Om6 (Student Edition)- with Access Card. 6th ed. Richard D. Irwin, Inc., 2017. ISBN-13: 978-1-305-66479-1
Readings and Exercises
Topics: Operations Management, Value Chains and Measuring Performance
Topics: Operations Strategy, Technology and Management
Topics: Goods, Service and Supply Chain Design
Topics: Process Selection, Analysis and Facility Design
Topics: Forecasting and Capacity Management
Topics: Inventory and Supply Chain Management
Topics: Operations Scheduling and Quality Management
Topics: Lean Operating Systems and OM Final Project
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.