This course will focus only providing a deeper understanding of the connection between people, strategy, and results in organizations of all kinds, with a particular emphasis on emerging pay for performance systems. Students will investigate performance management including: the importance of human capital in pursuing and achieving an organization’s purpose, defining and measuring workforce contributions against articulated goals and desired outcomes, and identifying and applying traditional and non-traditional compensation and benefits to reward performance on actual outcomes. (3 credits)
- MGT 101: Principles of Management
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the importance of performance management in fostering and rewarding effectiveness in organizations of all kinds.
- Describe and analyze the connection between organizational goals, the position description and methods of management performance based on goals and expectations.
- Describe and analyze the diverse elements and approaches of an effective pay for performance system.
- Implement best practices as they relate to people, performance and rewards.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Summary Paper (Week 8)
Required TextbooksAvailable through <div> <p>Available through <a href="https://bookstore.mbsdirect.net/vbm/vb_home.php?FVCUSNO=35478" target="_blank">Charter Oak State College's online bookstore</a></p> </div>
- Becker, Brian, Mark Huselid & Dave Ulrich. (2001). HR Scorecard. Harvard Business School Press. ISBN-10: 1578511364 or ISBN-13: 9781578511365
Additional Required Materals
(Not Available through Bookstore)
- Any additional readings will be provided in the course packet on the Blackboard course site.
Readings and Exercises
Topic: Importance of HR in Achieving Organizational Purpose
Topics: Outcomes & the HR Scorecard
Topics: Principles of Good Performance Measurement
Topic: Designing a Job Description for Peak Performance
Topic: Performance Appraisal and Employee Development
Topic: Implementing the Balanced Scorecard
Topics: Designing, Updating and Maintaining the Compensation System
Topic: Putting it all Together
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.