This course explores and examines the interpersonal dynamics of teams, team development, conflict management, team leadership and enables adult learners to begin to develop skills for leading teams. It provides students a window into how teams interact within their organization as well as their impact to the entire organization. (3 credits)
This course meets the following CAHIIM competencies for HIM Majors.
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Examine team leadership and explain the role it plays in team settings.
- Evaluate the impact of different leadership styles on others and the overall effectiveness of those styles.
- Explain the role synergy and discovery process play in the group problem-solving process.
- Analyze the basic elements and processes of group dynamics.
- Analyze the relationships between group problem solving, decision making, group dynamics and intergroup behavior.
- Analyze the different ways of organizing people into teams as well as other types of organizational units.
- Identify several approaches that can be used to generate effective outcomes between teams and groups.
- Compare the relationship between team building and team effectiveness.
- Determine the key leadership actions that can foster individual motivation.
- Determine the relationships among organizational learning, cultural change, development and effectiveness.
- Examine and evaluate ethical behavior in today's workplace.
- Analyze the shifts in the demographic diversity within organizations as well as the rapid global development of organizations.
- Analyze the principles of learning and explain how they are involved in organizational training and innovative reward systems.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions (Weeks 1-8)
Individual Written Assignments (Weeks 1-8)
Quizzes (Week 3 & 5)
Team Presentations (Weeks 2-6)
Team Leader Role (Week 2-6)
Final Summary Paper (Week 8)
Available through Charter Oak State College's online bookstore
- Greenberg, Jerald. Behavior in Organizations: An Experiential Approach. 10th ed. Pearson, 2011. ISBN-13: 9780136090274
- Dyer. Team Building: Proven Strategies for Improving Team Performance. 5th ed. Josey-Bass, 2013. ISBN-13: 9781118105139
- Hacker, Diana. A Writer’s Reference. 8th Edition. Bedford/Saint Martin’s. 2014. ISBN 10: 1-457666766 or ISBN 13: 9781457666766
(Not available through bookstore)
- Video:Twelve Angry Men (1957)
(Note: Course week runs Monday 12:00 am EST - Sunday 11:59 pm EST)
Readings and Exercises
Topics: Overview and Foundation
Topics: Perception & Learning
Topics: Motivation & Team Building
Topic: Group Dynamics
Topics: Group Decision Making Processes & Interpersonal Behavior
Topic: Power & Influence
Topic: Teamwork & Organizational Culture
Topic: Final Assessments
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.