This course will focus on the application of learning and instructional development to the education and training of employees. Topics include: instructional design, strategies, technology, learning materials, and implementation, evaluation, and management of training in an organizational environment. Roles and skills of the training and development professional will be reviewed. Contribution of training and development to an organization's goals, understanding the training and development industry, and resources available to those in the profession will be covered. (3 credits)
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Explain the administrative functions of planning, organizing, directing, and controlling of the training function.
- Apply learning theory to effectively design and develop training programs for adult learners.
- Conduct appropriate needs assessment strategies to determine potential training opportunities.
- Write instructional objectives that clearly articulate training goals.
- Select suitable instructional strategies, technology, and learning materials for delivering training.
- Demonstrate effective presentational skills to maximize learning.
- Select, plan, and implement a training program designed to meet learners’ needs.
- Measure and evaluate training and development.
- Apply leadership theory and management concepts to effectively design and develop training programs for managers and professionals.
- Select training methods for employee development programs.
- Gain increased awareness of current business and societal issues requiring training and development.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions (Weeks 1-8, 30 points per week)
Literature Review - Draft (Week 3) & Final Draft (Week 6)
Training Program - Draft (Week 4) & Final Draft and Presentation to the Class (Week 8)
Quizzes (Weeks 1, 2, 3, 5, 6 & 7)
(Available through Charter Oak's online bookstore)
- Noe, Raymond. Employee Training and Development. 7th ed. Richard D. Irwin, Inc., 2017. ISBN-13: 978-0-07-811285-0
- Pike, Robert W. (2003). Creative Training Techniques Handbook: Tips, Tactics, and How-To’s for Delivering Effective Training (3rd edition). Amherst, MA., HRD Press Inc.
Readings and Exercises
Topic: Introduction to Training & Development
Topic: Strategic Training
Topic: Needs Assessment
Topics: Learning and Transfer of Training
Topic: Program Design
Topic: Training Evaluation
Topic: Traditional Training Methods
Topics: Technology-Based Training & Presentations
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.