This course will focus on the process for maximizing transactions and relationships across international borders. A wide range of international marketing initiatives will be studied, including: export-import trade, joint ventures, subsidiaries, operations, pricing strategies, and product branding. (3 credits)
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
- MKT 220: Principles of Marketing (Recommended)
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Examine the Global Marketing Imperative and how International Marketing impacts our day-to-day life.
- Explain how trade and trade policy affects the world economy.
- Illustrate the cultural, historical and geographical environment on international markets.
- Summarize the economic dynamics of global markets.
- Describe the political and legal environment and its impact on business.
- Illustrate the strategic international marketing tactics, planning and their implementation.
- Identify the organizational and structural planning for international companies.
- Explain marketing research and its importance in international marketing.
- Describe how to enter and expand in a foreign country.
- Explain product adaptation and execution in a foreign market.
- Identify product export and pricing strategies.
- Describe marketing communication for an international firm.
- Identify channel distribution and management of logistics.
- Describe global product and project management and its execution.
- Examine global services management and its execution.
- Identify international logistics and material control in a foreign country.
- Explain global pricing strategies and their impact on the market.
- Describe ethical and global promotion strategies and their impact on the market.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Midterm Exam (Week 4)
Final Exam (Week 8)
Group Research Project (Week 8)
Required TextbooksAvailable through https://bookstore.mbsdirect.net/vbm/vb_home.php?FVCUSNO=35478
- Cateora, Philip R., John Graham & Mary C. Gilly. International Marketing. 17th ed. Richard D. Irwin, Inc., 2016. ISBN-10: 0-07-784216-2 or ISBN-13: 978-0-07-784216-1
- Online weekly class notes, downloadable from the website
- Online marketing-related articles, downloadable from the website (optional)
|Week||SLOs||Readings and Exercises||Assignments|
|Topic: International Marketing Environment, Part 1 (Global Marketing Introduction and Trade Policy)|
|Topic: International Marketing Environment, Part 2 (the Cultural, Economic and Political Environments)|
|Topic: International Market Development, Part 1 (Strategic planning; organizational implementation and control)|
|Topic: International Market Development, Part 2 (Marketing research; market entry and expansion)|
|Topic: Export Marketing Mix, Part 1 (Product adaptation and pricing)|
|Topic: Export Marketing Mix, Part 2 (Marketing Communications and Distribution Management)|
|Topic: Global Marketing Mix, Part 1 (Global Product Management, Branding and Services; Logistics and Material Management)|
|Topic: Ethical and Global Marketing Mix, Part 2 (Global Pricing and Promotion Strategies)|
Final Paper due: (NOTE: This is a Saturday)