This course will focus on the process for maximizing transactions and relationships across international borders. A wide range of international marketing initiatives will be studied, including: export-import trade, joint ventures, subsidiaries, operations, pricing strategies, and product branding. (3 credits)
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
- MKT 220: Principles of Marketing (Recommended)
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Examine the Global Market and how International Marketing impacts our day-to-day life.
- Examine how trade and trade policy affects the world economy.
- Illustrate the cultural, historical and geographical environment on international markets.
- Summarize the economic dynamics of global markets.
- Illustrate the strategic international marketing tactics, planning and their implementation.
- Describe the political and legal environment and its impact on business.
- Identify the organizational and structural planning for international companies.
- Explain marketing research and its importance in international marketing.
- Describe how to enter and expand in a foreign country.
- Explain product adaptation and execution in a foreign market.
- Identify product export and pricing strategies.
- Identify channel distribution and management of logistics.
- Describe marketing communication for an international firm.
- Describe global product and project management and its execution.
- Examine global services management and its execution.
- Explain global pricing strategies and their impact on the market.
- Identify international logistics and material control in a foreign country.
- Describe ethical and global promotion strategies and their impact on the market.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Midterm Exam (Week 4)
Final Exam (Week 8)
Group Research Project (Week 8)
Available through Charter Oak State College's online bookstore
- Cateora, Philip R., John Graham & Mary C. Gilly. International Marketing. 17th ed. Richard D. Irwin, Inc., 2016. ISBN-10: 0-07-784216-2 or ISBN-13: 978-0-07-784216-1
- Weekly class notes, downloadable from the website
- Marketing-related articles, downloadable from the website (optional)
- EuroDisney (week 1)
- Cultural Differences in Advertising (week 2)
- Top 10 Biggest International Mistakes (week 5)
- International PR (week 6)
- Strong Dollar, Weak Dollar (week 8)
Readings and Exercises
Topic: International Marketing Overview
Topic: The Cultural Environment of Global Markets, Part 1
Topic: The Cultural Environment of Global Markets, Part 2
Topic: Assessing Global Marketing Opportunities
Topic: Developing Global Marketing Strategies, Part 1
Topic: Developing Global Marketing Strategies, Part 2
Topic: Developing Global Marketing Strategies, Part 3
Topics: Implementing Global Marketing Strategies & Ethics
Final Exam (Due Saturday)
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.