This baccalaureate nursing role is examined expanding on the foundations of associate-degree nursing education. The course emphasizes contemporary issues related to and including nursing history and theory, ethics, professional development, scholarship, research and evidence-based practice, intra- and inter-professional relations influencing teamwork and collaboration across health care delivery settings, population health, and healthcare policy, finance and regulatory environments.
- Admission to the Program or Permission of the Program Director
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Upon completion of this course, the student will have gained knowledge about:
- Examine significant events in nursing history that have influenced the profession’s evolution.
- Discuss the role of nursing theory in guiding practice within an organization.
- Compare the characteristics of research and evidence-based practice.
- Evaluate practices of the professional baccalaureate prepared nurse that support resilience in the face of a dynamic and constantly changing healthcare system.
- Analyze the importance of written and oral presentation skills.
- Discuss the importance of constructive intra-and interprofessional communications in sage, effective patient care.
- Evaluate the similarities and differences in nursing care of individuals, communities and populations.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Available through Charter Oak State College's online bookstore
- American Psychological Association. Publication manual of the American Psychological Association. 6th ed. American Psychological Association. 2010, ISBN-13: 978-1433805615
- Black, B. Professional Nursing: Concepts and Challenges. 8th ed. Elsevier, 2017, ISBN-13: 978-0-323-43112-5
Course Activities and Grading
Introductory Video (ungraded)
Nursing’s Journey Towards a Profession
Discussion: Progression towards your BSN
Nurse of the Future
|2||Discussion: Knowledge, Skills and Behaviors||25||2.5%|
|3||Discussion: Newspaper Article||25||2.5%|
|4||Nursing Scope of Practice||75||7.5%|
|4||Discussion: Professional Boundaries||25||2.5%|
|5||Culture: When you don’t speak the patient’s language||75||7.5%|
|5||Discussion: Social Media||25||2.5%|
|6||Research Article Summary||75||7.5%|
|6||Discussion: Nursing Theory||25||2.5%|
|7||Discussion: Acts of Advocacy||25||2.5%|
|8||The Future of Nursing Synthesis Essay||225||22.5%|
|8||Rose, Bud, Thorn||25||2.5%|
Late assignments will not be accepted unless advance arrangements have been made with the instructor. Contact the instructor to prevent deduction of 5 percent each day the assignment is late.
Failure to submit an assignment after 8 days of the due date will result in a zero for that assignment. The assignment must be completed, however, because it needs to be included in the final project
Each week students will prepare a well-written, edited reply to the week’s discussion prompt(s) utilizing 2-3 peer-reviewed references (no more than 5 years old), APA format.
Students will respond to at least 2 peer’s initial submission by Sunday offering additional resources or information or contribute questions for clarification. Responses are to be well-written, thoughtful, and helpful to your classmate to further develop their initial post.
The Future of Nursing is Me Synthesis Essay
The final assignment for this course is the Synthesis Essay. Synthesis is drawing together two or more sources to support your writing on the topic. Students will take each of the discussion prompts from Week 1-7, combining them with other peer-reviewed sources into an edited essay on the topic. Students are encouraged to review the feedback from the instructor and peers weekly and continue to develop their discussions for this final project as the course continues. Finally, students are to make a 3-5-minute recorded presentation to present the highlights (think elevator speech) of their paper.
Readings and Exercises
Topics: Welcome to NUR 301 and the Journey to Achieve Your Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing
Topic: Applying the Massachusetts Nurse of the Future Core Competencies to the role of the baccalaureate prepared nurse
Topics: Theoretical and Philosophical Foundations of Professional Nursing Practice
Topics: Legal and Ethical Dimensions of Professional Nursing Practice
Topics: Professional Communication and Collaboration
Topics: Critical Thinking and Developing Critical Thinking
Topic: The Nurse as Advocate
Topic: I am the Future of Nursing
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.