The Capstone Seminar provides an opportunity for students to complete their research projects and present and receive feedback on their research projects. The projects will be evaluated by peers and faculty. It also provides students an opportunity to reflect upon and integrate their course learning with their life and work experiences and to relate their learning to effective ness within their organizational work environments.
- Minimum completion of nine courses in the M. S. in Organizational Effectiveness and Leadership Program including OEL690 Applied Research Project.
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Demonstrate and apply the knowledge gained in the functional areas of organizational effectiveness and leadership in the context and framework of their respective research projects.
- Apply the appropriate knowledge, tools, and models to demonstrate advanced problem solving skills including the ability to recognize the root cause of problems, analyze uncertain situations, interpret and use data in drawing conclusions, develop solutions, and adapt and innovate in the context and framework of their respective research projects.
- Demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrate well-developed practical skill sets including the use of the internet, research databases, report writing software, process improvement tools, and project management tools in the context and framework of their respective research projects.
Applicable Program Learning Outcomes (PLOs)
3. Develop professional communication skills.
5. Construct organizational leadership strategies.
7. Design and implement organizational change processes.
9. Develop strategies that support the advancement of organization's vision and mission.
14. Formulate, propose, and develop a plan utilizing appropriate tools and interventions to implement.
Course Activities and Grading
Discussion Questions: 8 Discussion Questions @ 20 points each
Interim Project Submissions: 5 @ 20 points each, 1 @ 40 points
Final Project Submission-Report: 1 @ 500 points each
Final Project Submission-Presentation (PowerPoint): 1 @ 100 points each
Final Project Submission-Presentation (Oral presentation): 1 @ 100 points each
This manual will be provided electronically at no cost to students in the OEL695 Capstone Seminar Blackboard Course Shell. There will be no required textbook to purchase.
- Charter Oak State College. Master of Science in Organizational Effectiveness and Leadership Capstone Project Handbook. 1st ed. Charter Oak State College.
Supplemental Required Readings / Resources
- Links to the supplemental readings and articles are provided in the course shells.
|Week||PLOs||SLOs||Readings and Exercises||Assignment(s)|
Topic: Planning the Project
Topic: The Literature Review
Topics: Methodology and Tools
Topics: Conducting Analysis and Preparing Conclusions
Topics: Preparing Recommendations and Reflection Analysis
Topics: Professional Presentations
Topics: The Final Product
Topics: Final Project Submission & Course Wrap-up
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.