This course will provide students with an overview of the litigation process. Students will acquire a basic understanding of legal principles, with a focus on practical legal skills including the preparation of legal documents and working with both attorneys and clients throughout the legal process. Students will become familiar with the Practice Book and have a working knowledge of various legal forms.
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Have a basic knowledge of the judicial process and legal terms;
- Be able to prepare legal documents from the beginning of a lawsuit through its conclusion;
- Articulate the role of a paraprofessional in various settings; and
- Demonstrate practical applications required of paralegals, demonstrate basic skills of management; demonstrate the ability to work in teams.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions (Weeks 1-7)
Midterm Exam (Week 4)
Assignments (Weeks 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7)
Final Exam (Week 8)
Available through Charter Oak's online bookstore
- McCord, James (2017). The Litigation Paralegal: A Systems Approach - with Workbook. 6th ed. Delmar Learning. ISBN-13: 9781285857152
|Week||SLOs||Readings and Exercises||Assignment(s)|
Topic: Introduction to Litigation and the Interview
Topic: Drafting the Complaint
1, 3, 4
Topic: Defending a Lawsuit
Chapters 1 through 7
SLOs 1, 2, 3, and 4
1, 2, 4
Topic: Document Production
1, 2, 3, 4
Topic: ADR & Trial Prep
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.