This course will focus on an overview of the criminal justice system. Topics include: legal principles, practical legal skills, legal terms, and concepts. Students will examine the role of the paralegal in the criminal justice system from both the prosecution and defense perspectives. (3 credits)
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Upon successful completion of the course the student will be able to:
- Explain fundamental criminal law concepts.
- Identify the elements of specific crimes applicable to a scenario including crimes against the person, crimes against property and crimes against the public.
- Analyze how the Constitution protects criminal defendants.
- Evaluate defenses to crimes.
- Explain the criminal trial process through sentencing and appeal.
- Explain the role of the paralegal in the criminal law system.
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions (Weeks 1-8)
Quizzes (Weeks 1-3; 5-7)
Midterm Project (Week 4)
Final Project (Week 8)
Available through Charter Oak State College's online bookstore
- Jirard, Stephanie. Criminal Law & Procedure: A Courtroom Approach. Sage Publishing, 2020. ISBN-13: 9781544327501
|Week||SLOs||Readings and Exercises||Assignments|
Topic: Foundations of Criminal Law and the Role of the Paralegalw
Topic: Crimes Against the Person
Topic: Crimes Against Property
Topic: Crimes Against the Public
Topics: Search, Seizure, and the Fourth Amendment
Topic: Other Constitutional Protections for Criminal Defendants
Topics: Defenses and the Criminal Trial Process
Topics: Sentencing and Appeal
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.