This course discusses the identification and analysis of various cultures and their diverse historical, economic and societal variations within the context of the public safety sector.
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Identify various cultural groups.
- Formulate historical elements that explain value and significance of cultural beliefs and practices.
- Increase knowledge and awareness of various cultural and ethnic groups.
- Reexamine personal prejudices so in order to relate diverse cultural groups.
- Recognize various cultural beliefs and practices in order to respect various differences.
- Define and describe various legal implications of violating ethnic and cultural differences and uniqueness.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Four Case Study Papers
Five Discussion Participation
Ethnic Identity Paper
Group Wiki - Ethic Awareness
(Available through Charter Oak's online bookstore)
- Schaeffer, Richard T. Racial and Ethnic Groups. 14th ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson, 2015. ISBN-13: 978-0-13-377099-5
|Week||Readings and Exercises||Assignment(s)|
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.