This course will focus on how group behavior affects organizational effectiveness, decision making, conflict resolution, and strategies for efficient group and task management. (3 credits)
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
- Background in public safety, or obtained permission from the instructor to take this course
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Identify and describe the various types of groups.
- Discuss ways to empower small groups
- Evaluate how group behavior affects organizational effectiveness
- Describe how structure, influence and power impact groups
- Identify ways that decisions are made in a group
- Describe how conflict arises and then is resolved (either properly or improperly) within a group
- Develop strategies for efficient group and task management
- Examine a personal group within which the student is involved and interpret the interworking of that group based upon materials from the text.
Course Activities and Grading
Discussion Board Participation (Weeks 1-5)
Weekly Tests and Assignments
Final Research Paper
Available through Charter Oak State College's online bookstore
- Forsyth, Donelson R. (2019) Group Dynamics. 7th ed. Cengage Learning Inc. ISBN-13: 978-1-337-40885-1
Additional Required Materials
(not available through bookstore)
- Video: 12 Angry Men (1957) Directed By: Sidney Lumet. Produced by Orion-Nova Productions.
This film can be rented from video sources (Amazon Instant Video, or borrowed from your local library.)
Readings and Exercises
Small Group Interaction, Circumstances and Structure
Relevant Background Factors
Leadership and Social Influence Processes
Decision Making Process and Conflict Management
Small Group Presentations to an Audience
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.