This course will focus on an overview of the general concepts associated with descriptive and inferential statistics in psychology. There will be an examination of the purpose behind the use of statistics in psychology and an investigation of the process undertaken to derive these statistics. Students will apply these principles by conducting a variety of statistical analyses. (3 credits)
- ENG 101: English Composition
- PSY 101: Psychology or SOC 101: Sociology
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Examine the general concepts associated with descriptive statistics.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the purpose of inferential statistics and discover the process needed to derive these statistics.
- Develop hypotheses and engage in hypothesis testing.
- Employ critical thinking to conduct the appropriate type of statistical analysis and to determine if findings are statistically significant.
- Illustrate how to apply statistics in the psychological field.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Please check the applicable GEOs for this course, if any, by outcomes at GEO Category Search, or by subject area at GEO Discipline Search.
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions (Weeks 1-8)
Quizzes (Weeks 1-3 & 5-7)
StatCrunch Project Report (Weeks 1-3 & 5-8)
Midterm Paper (Week 4)
Final Paper (Week 8)
Available through Charter Oak State College's online bookstore
Aron, A., Aron, E. & Coups, E. (2012). Statistics for Psychology - Mylab with eText. 6th ed. Pearson. ISBN-10: 0-205-84711-0 or ISBN-13: 978-0-205-84711-2
Readings and Exercises
Topic: Descriptive Statistics
Topic: Inferential Statistics
Topic: Hypothesis Testing
Topic: Statistical Significance
Topic: Chi-Square Analysis
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.