This course will focus on the psychological and biological processes of abnormal behavior. Students will explore the symptoms, theory, and treatment of a wide variety of psychological disorders. (3 credits)
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
- ENG 102: English Composition 2
- PSY 101: Psychology (Recommended)
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Explain the major psychological disorders including symptoms and treatment.
- Describe a variety of theories or approaches related to principal disorders.
- Understand the roots of abnormal behavior.
- Explain how abnormal behavior can be treated through a variety of approaches from psychotherapy to medication.
- Describe how “normal” people can experience abnormal behaviors in the course of their lives.
- Learn more about oneself and others in your world, developing empathy.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Weekly Discussion Questions
Weekly Chapter Summaries
Course Term Paper
Available through Charter Oak State College's online bookstore
- Whitbourne, Susan K. (2023). Abnormal Psychology, Clinical Perspectives on Psychological Disorders. (10th Edition). McGraw Hill, New York. ISBN-13: 978-1-266-56689-9 [Looseleaf version]
- Various websites, readings and library (online) sources
Readings and Exercises
Topics: Understanding Abnormal Behavior, Diagnosis and Treatment
Topics: Assessment and Theoretical Views
Topics: Neurodevelopmental Disorders & Schizophrenic Disorders
Topics: Depressive, Bi-Polar & Anxiety & Trauma Disorders
Topics: Dissociative, Somatic, Eating & Conduct Disorders
Topics: Paraphilic Disorders, Sexual Dysfunction, Gender Dysphoria, Substance Related & Addictive Disorders
Topics: Neurocognitive & Personality Disorders
Topic: Ethics and Legal Issues
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.