Are you interested in serving individuals and communities in need by earning a bachelor’s degree in Social Work (BSW) with 100% online courses? Social workers are in demand with jobs expected to grow by 12% through 2030 (Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook). If you are hoping to help make the world a better place, you can earn your BSW degree online quickly and affordably at Charter Oak.
The online BSW degree from Charter Oak State College will prepare students to work in settings including school systems, community health centers, the criminal justice system, substance abuse treatment facilities, skilled nursing facilities and assisted living facilities, and in areas including mental health, elder care, substance abuse recovery, criminal justice, case management, and advocacy.
Combine qualified transfer credit with our already low tuition and fees for an affordable degree plan that works for you!
Charter Oak State College's Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) program is seeking accreditation by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE), a specialized accrediting body recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). CSWE’s Commission on Accreditation is responsible for developing standards that define competent preparation for professional social workers and ensuring that social work programs meet these standards. Learn more about accreditation.
Question: How does the lack of accreditation impact employment opportunities?
Answer: Charter Oak will actively work to obtain CSWE pre-candidacy status for Fall 2022, and will actively work toward achieving CSWE accreditation. However, regardless of status, employment opportunities at the BSW level will not be impacted.
Question: How does the lack of accreditation impact admissions to an MSW program?
Answer: As we work toward achieving CSWE accreditation, graduating students would not be eligible for potential advance standing in a MSW program until we receive full candidacy. We anticipate full CSWE accreditation to come one year after the first graduating class. Please note, graduating with a BSW from a CSWE accredited program does not guarantee entry into a MSW program with advanced standing. For example, if a student graduates with a low GPA, they most likely would have a difficult time entering a MSW program with advanced standing.
This major requires a minimum of 47 credits. All major requirements must be completed with a grade of 'C' or higher. An in person practicum is required.
- Introduction to Social Work3 credits
- Foundations of Social Work Practice3 credits
- Direct Practice with Individuals/Couples3 credits
- Direct Practice with Families/Groups3 credits
- Macro Social Work Practice3 credits
- History of Social Welfare3 credits
- Theory and Practice3 credits
- Human Behavior in the Social Environment 13 credits
- Human Behavior in the Social Environment 23 credits
- Introduction to Research3 credits
- Social Work Field Practicum 14 credits
- Social Work Field Practicum 24 credits
- Health Inequities3 credits
- Difference, Diversity and Privilege3 credits
- Social Work Capstone3 credits
- Total47 credits
Outcomes & Pathways
Students who graduate with a major in Social Work will be able to:
- demonstrate proficiency to make sound judgments regarding ethical and professional behavior;
- demonstrate proficiency in understanding diversity and difference in practice;
- learn about and make sound judgments regarding the advancement of human rights and social, economic, and environmental justice;
- demonstrate the ability to engage with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities;
- demonstrate the ability to assess individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities; and
- demonstrate the ability to intervene with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities
- evaluate practice with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities.
Why Charter Oak State College?
- 100% online
- Credit for credentials
- Six (6) start dates
- Expert Faculty