This course prepares students for success in their online program and beyond. Students will develop or confirm their career/personal goals and create a personalized academic plan to complete their degree at Charter Oak State College. Essential academic skills including digital, information literacy, critical thinking, and research writing will be addressed to prepare students for their subsequent coursework at the college. This course is required of all Charter Oak State College degree-seeking students and should be taken as soon as possible after matriculation.
Students must earn an overall, final grade of "C" or higher to pass the course.
- Student must be matriculated (entered into a degree program) at Charter Oak State College.
- ENG 101: English Composition 1
Student Learning Outcomes (SLOs)
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Identify campus resources and engage with the campus community.
- Define and apply online college success strategies.
- Define and apply online college resilience strategies.
- Create academic and career/personal plans including strategies for goal attainment.
- Identify plagiarism and understand how and when to summarize, paraphrase, and quote research findings.
- Write a research paper that reflects use of relevant sources, proper citation, critical thinking and logical argument.
- Create a digital presentation that demonstrates the ability to reflect on course topics of critical thinking, research writing, and interactive digital communication.
General Education Outcomes (GEOs)
Course Activities and Grading
Discussions (210 Pts, Weeks 1-7)
Quizzes (120 Pts, Weeks 1(x2), 2, 4)
Best Strategies Reflection (30 Pts, Week 1)
College Resource Guide Reflection (30 Pts, Week 2)
Research Paper Topic Selection (75 Pts, Week 3)
Research Paper Outline (75 Pts, Week 4)
Research Paper First Draft (85 Pts, Week 5)
Research Paper Checklist (75 Pts, Week 6)
Research Paper (200 Pts, Week 7)
Enrollment Activity or Reflection (30 Pts, Week 8)
Digital Reflections Presentation (100 Pts, Week 8)
- This course uses Open Educational Resources (OER). OER are openly licensed, educational resources that can be used for teaching, learning and research. OER may consist of a variety of resources such as textbooks, videos and software that are at little or no cost for students.
Note: Readings will be taken from textbooks that will be provided in the course:
|Week||SLOs||Readings and Exercises||Assignments|
Topic: Introduction to Online Learning
Topic: College/Community Resources
Topic: Setting Career/Personal Goals
Topic: College Writing/Research, & APA
Topic: Connecting your Career/Personal Goals to Map your Advising Worksheet
Topic: Incorporating Feedback and Improving Research
Topic: Building Resiliency Strategies
Topic: Reflection and Preparing for the Next Semester & Beyond
COSC Accessibility Statement
Charter Oak State College encourages students with disabilities, including non-visible disabilities such as chronic diseases, learning disabilities, head injury, attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, or psychiatric disabilities, to discuss appropriate accommodations with the Office of Accessibility Services at OAS@charteroak.edu.
COSC Policies, Course Policies, Academic Support Services and Resources
Students are responsible for knowing all Charter Oak State College (COSC) institutional policies, course-specific policies, procedures, and available academic support services and resources. Please see COSC Policies for COSC institutional policies, and see also specific policies related to this course. See COSC Resources for information regarding available academic support services and resources.