Charter Oak State College is committed to making sure that all eligible students can benefit from financial assistance. To start, we suggest you visit the U.S. Department of Education's web site for an overview of the financial aid process at Student Aid on the Web.
Ready, Set, Apply for Financial Aid
Because eligibility for federal student aid does not carry over from one award year to the next, you need to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for each award year in which you are a student (or plan to become a student).
Note: Remember to include Charter Oak's six-digit federal school code (032343) in step six of the FAFSA.
Applying for financial aid is free when you use the FAFSA on the web site. You do not have to pay anyone to complete the FAFSA on your behalf or to have your questions answered. Help is also available online or by contacting the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 800-4-FED-AID (800-433-3243).
Prior to completing your FAFSA, we recommend that you obtain your FSA ID. Your FSA ID serves as your legal signature.
You can use your FSA ID to access these Federal Student Aid systems:
- Transfer federal tax data from the IRS by using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT).
- Make online corrections to an existing FAFSA.
- View or print an online copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR).
- View a history of federal student aid (loans and grants) that you have received.
- Look up your loan servicer information.
Completing Student Loan Requirments:
- Complete Annual Student Loan Acknowledgment.
- Complete Entrance Counseling.
- Electronically sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN).
- Complete Exit Counseling.
Manage your student loan repayment.
- Use Federal Student Aid's Loan Simulator to find a repayment plan that meets your goals or to consolidate your federal loan debt.