Get Credit For What You Know!
Use Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) to save time and money - get credit for what you know and earn your degree quicker. If your learning matches a college course, we can probably help you prove that and get credit for it.
What Is PLA And How Can It Help Me?
- PLA E-Learning - Start here to learn the basics of PLA in 10 screens!
- Videos - View short videos to learn more about PLA and its impact.
- Student Testimonials - See what other students have to say about PLA.
- PLA Audit Tool - Discover PLA credit that you may be eligible for!
What Is PLA Credit?
- Credit Recommendations for Credentials - See what credit you may be eligible for based on your professional certifications, licenses, and credentials!
- CCAP Credit Recommendations for Training Programs - See what credit you may be eligible for based on your successful completion of Connecticut Credit Assessment Program (CCAP) reviewed training programs!
- Consult with your Academic Counselor to make sure any PLA credit will be acceptable and fit into your degree plan.
- Read about Credit For Prior Learning in the College Catalog.
- We can't award credit twice for the same learning - PLA credit cannot duplicate other credit you already have.
How Do I Get Credit For What I Know?
- Get Credit for Exams you take.
- Get Credit for Portfolios you prepare.
- Get Credit for Professional Licenses, Certifications, and Credentials you've earned.
- Get Credit for Training you've successfully completed.
Who Should Consider PLA?
- Do you have extensive work or volunteer experience?
- Have you successfully completed workplace or other training programs?
- Have you earned a professional license or credential?
- Were you ever in the United States military?
- Do you have learning that corresponds to college courses?
- Can you document your college-level learning?
If you answered "yes" to any of the above, then consider PLA and continue exploring the options on this page.
When Should I Consider PLA?
- The earlier in your educational planning, the better.
- Avoid taking classes that you could earn PLA credit for.
Why Should I Consider PLA?
- Save time!
- Save money!
- Earn credit!
- Faster time to degree!
What Does it Cost?
Current fees are posted in the online College Catalog:
How Do I Get Help With The PLA Fees?
- Log in to Acorn and navigate to the Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) section in Student Self Service to download the PLA Scholarship application with instructions.
- Consult with your Academic Counselor to get your PLA Scholarship application approved.
- Submit your PLA Scholarship application to the PLA Office.
Where Are The Forms I'll Need For PLA?
- Log in to ACORN, the online student portal.
- Navigate to Student Self Service.
- Click on Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) to access the PLA forms and links.
Contact the PLA Office.